Thursday, October 11, 2018

Birthdays

Today I am flooded with nostalgic memories, so clear and happy yet tinged with a little sadness. I wish my parents were here to remember with me. My mother planned my parties around Columbus Day because we were off from school on the 12th of October. The chocolate cake had a special place next to the gifts!
It was always an exciting time for me. Anticipating my special day and then off from school the next one added to the event. Even later when I grew up, my mother always made an effort to see me and celebrate.
She would call and ask me to come over. The pictures would come out in those marked albums that she lovingly put together. The first year she took them out, I didn't even know she had organized one for each one of her five children. Because I am the oldest, I had the most photos. We always laughed about that. It seems to happen in most families as the parents get busier and busier the more activities their children are involved in. I know I fall into that category with my own children.
I suppose my friends and family fit into the old school mentality as pretty, colorful and meaningful cards were in my mailbox this afternoon. I keep looking at them and remembering the good times.
As I get older I cherish those memories and keep them close. I hope I always will.
Now I am in the process of making new memories with my grandchildren and sharing our birthdays together.

No comments:

Post a Comment