Friday, December 13, 2019

Old Soul I truly believe that I am an old soul. I am fascinated by anything historical and gravitate toward reading about past times. My three books encouraged me to research this wonderful place in which I live---the oldest English settlement in New York state. I found a lot of information when I was researching. Every place I go in the area, I try to envision what it looked like back then. There are many historical plaques around commemorating specific events, which makes it easier to ponder. The three years, I have been involved in the Historical Society have been exciting to me to be in homes that are in keeping with the historic era of that particular time. The Samuel Langley home was built in the 1700's. It is my favorite because when you walk in, you actually feel part of the times. A small entry way leads into the kitchen, the hearth of the home. Standing there feels so real. Of course, I have studied the home so I could lead a tour through it. One entire wall contains the cooking area which dominates the room. I know what each artifact is used for, so it looks as if the woman of the house just went outside to the herb garden to gather some for dinner. I could stay there all day. There is a workable loom in one of the rooms. A beauty and it works. I will be at the Ann Curry Bell home,circa 1900, later today for a membership party to celebrate Christmas. Another blast from the past. The home harkens me back to the turn of the 20th Century. Decorated in the Victorian mode, it is very festive and beautifully polished and kept. I am comfortable in these surroundings and not in very modern ones. It has to have something to do with my love of history. I must admit that I would miss our modern conveniences, like an indoor bathroom and appliances. Yet, I crave the feel of the quiet beauty that is shown in these homes. No plastic, or extraneous gadgets lying around, as these were not needed. Only items that were useful were kept. A Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night! 101 Glimpses of the North Fork and Islands The Wampum Exchange Captain Henry Green, a whaler www.rosemarymckinley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment