Wednesday, December 12, 2012


Grandma was offered a job.
A funny thing happened to me while I was promoting my book, The Wampum Exchange. I did a book signing at Harbes Family Farms in Mattituck, Long Island. My novella centers on life in 1650, Southold, New York. I came in costume and talked about how people farmed and made almost everything they needed. I showed drawings of homes, shells and wampum.
Daniel, a twelve-year-old boy, has a chance meeting with a Native American youngster and their lives change in an interesting way. We learn how farming for both communities was so important and how different they lived in other ways.
The owner read my book and offered me a job as a Long Island historian, explaining to school children how people lived back then. It has been both fun and rewarding working with children again. The Living History Corn Maze offers a short history of four famous people who lived here on the East End of the Island.
What a great way to learn history!
IMG_1897.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment