Sunday, April 14, 2013

Writers' Groups   April14, 2013

Writing has taught me so much more than learning to become an author. I have met the most remarkable people who are generous with their advice as well as their praise. And, much of what these strangers have given me is confidence to continue. You see, it seems that most of us are in the same boat. We write because we want to and because we enjoy it but selling and promoting our books is the difficult part.It is ongoing and time consuming.
Today I went to a book fair at Martha Clara Vineyards hosted by the Long Island Authors Group. It was wonderful to see so many authors and talk about their motivations and books. I think that it would be a good organization to join.
My own experience with writers groups has been favorable. It is just that the East End of Long Island is far from most of the meetings. I have joined several small groups over the years. One I left when I moved here. Another that was begun out here years ago disbanded because many of the writers became ill or uninterested. Then, a writing friend that I met at one of the meetings, started one with me. We meet infrequently because of commitments but we are still going to keep going..
Sharing our work in a trusted atmosphere is a good way to get feedback necessary to continue with our writing.

Speaking of people who are generous with their help, I want to point out this site -- http://askdavid.com. 
David will be promoting my book, The Wampum Exchange, soon.





Rosemary McKinley began writing to both entertain and inspire others. Her book, 101 Glimpses of the North Fork and Islands was released in 2009 by History Press. Her short stories, essays and poems have been published online by the Visiting Nurse Association of Long Island and in Lucidity, LI Sounds, Clarity, canvasli.com, Peconic Bay Shopper, Fate Magazine, Examination Anthology, Wormwood Press, Newsday, and The Poet’s Arts.
Her Y/A historical novella, The Wampum Exchange, can be found on Amazon.com and B&N.








http://askdavid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment